How Much Money Should I Bring to Japan?
A Guide to Budgeting for Your Trip
How much spending money you should bring depends largely on what kind of accommodation you will stay in, and what you plan to do during your time here. At a minimum, we would recommend the following:
- ￥1500.00 - ￥2000.00 per day for food (lunch and dinner) and drinks
- ￥500.00 per day for transportation
- Extra for activities/shopping, etc.
Here are some sample weekly budgets, based on the experiences of past students. Note that these budgets don't include the cost of classes or accommodation.
|Expense||Cost (rough estimate)|
|Transport (between school & accommodation)||Fukuoka: ￥2500.00 * / Tokyo: ￥1500.00 *|
|Food||Fukuoka: ￥7500.00 * / Tokyo: ￥10000.00 *|
|Activities (incl. karaoke, movies etc)||￥7000.00|
|Travel (excl. to and from school)||Fukuoka: ￥3000.00 / Tokyo: ￥2500.00|
|Shopping||Fukuoka: ￥2500.00 / Tokyo: ￥4000.00|
|Total||Fukuoka: ￥22500.00 / Tokyo: ￥25000.00|
* Transport will be slightly more expensive in a homestay, while food will be slightly cheaper. Transport in Fukuoka is a bit more expensive than in Tokyo, but in general, everything is much closer together in Fukuoka than in Tokyo.
It's often hard to judge how much you will need, so here are the prices of some common things to give you an idea (bear in mind that the prices are very approximate):
1) dinner with drinks in a restaurant: about ￥2000.00 ~ ￥3000.00
2) a movie (late show): ￥1000.00 (￥1800.00 ~ ￥2000.00 for a daytime show, 3D movies can be up to ￥3000.00 )
3) a 10-minute taxi ride: ￥1200.00 ~ ￥2000.00
4) a beer: about ￥500.00
5) dinner at McDonalds: about ￥650.00
6) entry to an art gallery: about ￥800.00
7) an anime DVD: about ￥2500.00 (You can watch anime dvd at school if a room is free!)
8) a ride on the subway: Fukuoka: about ￥250.00 / Tokyo: about ￥150.00
9) a concert by a famous musician: about ￥7000.00
10) karaoke: about ￥1700.00 per person for free time over weekends (incl. drinks) at main karaoke spots
11) visit to an onsen: around ￥1000.00 (up to ￥20000.00 or more for overnight stays)