Summer Programs for Minors
Available at our Fukuoka school only
Genki Japanese and Culture School’s junior programs combine the best, most fun activities of our Traditional Culture and Pop Culture courses to make an all course details new program that younger students are sure to love! Summer study abroad in Japan has never been more convenient.
You will study 20 lessons of Japanese per week, and then take 3 "experience" classes each week. Classes include tea ceremony, pottery, manga drawing, cosplay and more!
- Specific activities change depending on the season and availability.
- Classes and activities may be shared with adult students, but will always be supervised by school staff
Sample Junior Course Activities
*Sample schedule only. Actual schedule may differ.
|Class 1||Class 2||Class 3|
Otaku (nerd) map tour of Fukuoka
Visit anime/manga shops, game centers, cosplay shops and much more!
Learn about the difference between them, and visit the beautiful Tochoji Temple and Kushida Shrine.
Learn about the history and art of dressing up as your favorite characters, and even try it yourself!
Learn the formal rules of ikebana, and create your own masterpiece.
Beautiful Japanese writing is an art and a skill, and you'll learn both.
Get in touch with your inner peace while also learning how to wear a traditional kimono or yukata.
A professional manga teacher will teach you the basics of character design and layout, and you'll draw your own 4-panel manga!
Fake food samples
Learn about the industry behind Japanese display food samples, and try your hand at making your own.
Visit a cafe where the staff are mini-celebrities dressed as French maids, in this Japanese cultural phenomenon that is sweeping the world.
A real monk will teach you the skill of sitting meditation, and if you're lucky may also beat you with bamboo!
Kyara-ben (character bento)
Practice making Japanese-style packed lunches with a twist - your lunch is also an artwork!
A highly trained teacher will give you an introductory lesson in Japanese toujutsu swordfighting techniques. Try not to hurt yourself!
Visit a cat cafe, where you can play with felines while you enjoy your drinks. Don't take any home!
Learn about traditional Japanese art techniques throughout the ages.
Visit a traditional Japanese garden, and learn about Japan's relationship with nature.
Students can choose to stay in a host family, or supervised dormitory.
Breakfast and dinner included.
- Classes start every Monday from the first Monday in June to the last Monday in August.
- Course must finish by the end of August.
- Complete beginner students can start on the following dates:
- First and third Monday in June, July and August
- Junior students can study at other times of year, but will have to join adult courses
- Airport pickup
- 24-hour emergency contact available
- Personal alarm, cell phone rentals available
- Courses for junior groups available year-round!