Working in Japan

Unless you have a special visa, you cannot work in Japan. This includes internships, if you receive anything of value in exchange for the work, or have a contract. Japan is very strict about visas and employment law.

The most common types of special visas that allow you to work are as follows:

  • Working Holiday visa
  • Student visa (up to 28 hours per week)

Both of these can also be used to study at Genki Japanese School. If you do not have one of the above visas, the only way you can work is to find a company that is willing to sponsor you for a visa for a full time job, or to marry a Japanese person!

GenkiJACS provides several services for people who want to work in Japan. If you study on our long-term course, we can provide the following services:

  • Introduction to job placement organizations/other opportunities in Japan
  • Translation of your resume into Japanese
  • Job interview practice
  • Japanese communication ability certification (OPI interview)


select a language:
English 日本語 Deutsch Espanol Francais Nederlands 中文

Get a free quote
Apply now!

Info for...
Agents University students JETS Tour groups High school students

fukuoka contacts

Genki Building Hakataekihigashi 1-16-23, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi 812-0013, Japan
Phone: +81 (0)92 472 0123


tokyo contacts

Hanazono Building 3F Shinjuku 5-17-6, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022, Japan
Phone: +81 (0)3 6457 3554


kyoto contacts

Hayashi Bldg 2F Shimizuchō (Kawaramachidōri), 454-1, Shimogyō-ku, Kyōto-shi 600-8025, Japan
Phone: +81 (0)75 353 0003


Winner of the Star World Language School Award 2016

Winner of the Star World Language School Award 2016



student voices


Latest News


Awards & Accreditations


    Customer Satisfaction Excellence Award Study Travel Magazine Star Awards - Winner 2016 International Association of Language Centres Yokoso Japan Study Travel Magazine Star Awards - Shortlisted 2017

GenkiJACS videos


Fukuoka school
Fukuoka intro video on Youtube

Tokyo school
Tokyo intro video on Youtube