Genki Japanese Schools shortlisted as one of world's star language schools!

Posted on July 29, 2015 | evankirby

Best Japanese school award

We've done it again! For the 7th year in a row, we've been shortlisted by popular vote as one of the world's top language schools (not just Japanese schools!) at Study Travel Magazine's yearly industry Star Awards, the language school equivalent of the Oscars. Thanks to everyone who voted for us this year again! It's an incredible honor, especially in such a big year for us.
In the last 12 months, our Tokyo school almost doubled in suze, our Fukuoka school moved to a new six-floor(!) building, and we began the process of applying for Japanese government accreditation. We're so happy that everyone who voted for us felt we were doing a good job this year too. The Japanese language school industry is a wonderful one to be a part of, and we've worked hard to bring international school standards to Japan too.
The awards ceremony will be held in London in September, so we won't find out if we actually won the award until then. Wish us luck, and stay tuned for an even more exciting 2016 and beyond!

Studying Japanese on a Working Holiday visa

Posted on July 13, 2015 | evankirby

Keen followers of our Japanese school may already know that we are currently going through the Japanese government's accreditation process for Japanese language schools. If we become an accredited Japanese school, we will finally be able to provide student visas! However, the earliest this could happen is April 2016, if everything goes smoothly.
Until then, the best way to study Japanese long-term with us is on a working holiday visa.

As of July 2015, the working holiday visa is available for people from these countries to come to Japan:
- Australia
- New Zealand
- Canada
- Republic of Korea
- France
- Germany
- United Kingdom
- Ireland
- Denmark
- Taiwan
- Hong Kong
- Norway
- Portugal
- Poland

This visa is very easy to apply for, and is also very flexible, as it allows you to study or work freely (or do neither!) while you are in Japan. Generally anyone between 18 and 30 can apply for it, and it allows the bearer to stay in Japan for up to a year in total.
One common way that people use it to study Japanese with us is to study for the first six months, then find a job for the remaining six months. The Japanese embassies in some countries recommend people to apply for a student visa if you plan to study for a long time, but in other countries they recommend the working holiday visa, so it seems to depend on the specific staff member, to some extent. We have had quite a few students from various countries study with us for up to a year on the working holiday visa, so if you are from one of the countries in the list above, it could be a great and easy option for you! For details, see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or your nearest Japanese embassy.